The incorporation of commodity polyolefins into high performance materials is currently limited by their chemical and physical properties. The present invention is a synthetic platform for introducing a diverse range of chemical functionalities into commercial polyolefins. This post-polymerization functionalization features site-selective C–H xanthylation of the polyolefin which allows for further synthetic diversification of the polymer backbone via a single intermediate. This synthetic platform provides facile entry to functionalized polyolefins that could unlock new properties of the parent materials for their application in high-performance applications such as composites, coatings, and adhesives.
- Enables conversion of commodity polymers into functional materials
- Avoids chain degradation and coupling in branched polyolefin functionalization
- Mild, metal-free reaction conditions
- Regioselective functionalization
- Regioselective C-H Xanthylation as a Platform for Polyolefin Functionalization Williamson, J. B., Czaplyski, W. L., Alexanian, E. J., Leibfarth, F. A., Angew. Chem. 2018, 130, 6369